Sunday, January 4, 2015

I'm Back!

     I realize I have not posted here for quite some time, but this was not because I stopped cooking.  Rather, I was cooking for so many things I couldn't keep up!  Slow Food UW was the first to take my time.
     Slow Food is a wonderful organization which focuses on "Good, clean, fair food for all," meaning we use food that is grown and raised with care from local farmers at a fair price for both the consumer and the farmer.  I will be in my third semester with Slow Food UW as a Cafe Cook intern, which means I am one of several cooks who make food for a Cafe we hold every Wednesday lunch, serving two entrees (veggie or meat) two side options, a soup, and a dessert, and we serve anywhere from 180-280 people per service.  I got to share this incredible time with a group of students, none professionally trained, who simply loved food and worked hard to put on the Cafe.  Below are a few pictures of the Cafe, food, and people I worked with.

Chi Carrot Cake with Salted Whipped Cream served at Cafe

Open Faced Egg Bahn Mi topped with a Veggie Slaw served at Cafe

Celeriac Soup topped with apple slices served at Cafe

Bahn Mi and our Sweet Wheat Berry Salad served at Cafe

Vietnamese Meatball Bahn Mi with Celeriac soup served at Cafe

Candid pic. behind the scenes of Cafe service 

Housemade Goat Cheese Ravioli with Brown Butter Mushroom and Spinach Sauce

Cafe in the middle of service

Group photo with Alice Waters after dinner

Cafe cooks pausing for a pic. during service

Alice Waters and friends at her dinner

Jessica and I cutting the corn off over 150 ears of corn for a Sweet Corn Bisque served at Cafe

Group photo after successfully making dinner for our Distinguished Lecture Series guest Dave Arnold 

Group photo after Cafe service 

Our Cafe Director Abby and I toasting a friend's birthday on a quick break from Tuesday night prep

Another attempt at getting a good picture of us all with Alice Waters 


     These pictures show only a little of what Slow Food UW has accomplished in the past two semesters.  We participated in multiple events such as Fermentation Fest, Bike the Barns, and our Chilly Chili 5K.  We made dinners for guests such as Alice Waters and Dave Arnold, and even worked with Will Allen, the founder of Growing Power, on a dinner he hosted.  
     Working with Slow Food was an amazing experience for me and I hope that this next semester will bring in new people and experiences, and help further my knowledge of cooking and sustainable foods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment